Contact 1: Luke Bonus
1. Luke went to my high school about a decade before me. He starred in football and played safety in college at Hofstra. He now works for my high school football team as our strength and conditioning coach. He has experience in personal training as well.
2. Luke is my domain expert because he has done training similar to what I am looking to do in the past. He also worked in the exact same area I will be targeting. He knows a lot about putting together training programs and how to coach young athletes.
3. Finding Luke wasn't hard because I'd previously known him and the type of knowledge he possesses. I have his number so I just shot him a text and then called him later that day.
4. Luke and I decided to sit down once I get back to my hometown so he could give me some pointers and advice on the nature of this business. We'll talk about training tips and possibly pricing and marketing as well. Luke didn't ask for anything in return but I'll buy him lunch.
Contact 2: Erica Gayton
1. Mrs. Gayton is a middle school health and PE teacher. She is the mother of 3 serious athletes and a basketball coach for her middle school and also for the town travel team. She played basketball and lacrosse in college.
2. Mrs. Gayton is my market expert. She works with the type of kids I'd be looking to train on multiple levels and is also someone who could be a potential customer. She's been around other trainers and training services before and knows what is appealing to customers as well as what doesn't work.
3. Mrs. Gayton is the mom of one of my best friends and is well known for being a sports fanatic. I also texted and then called her in order to arrange a sit down to talk about some of the things my potential customers will be looking for and expect.
4. Mrs. Gayton will be giving me some pointers on the things I mentioned above when I'm back in town. In return I'll offer to work with her two younger athletes at a discount or for free.
Contact 3: Eric Hawkinson
1. Eric plays left tackle at Lehigh. He has played football for ten years and was an all-state selection his senior year of high school. He has worked with multiple personal trainers in the past.
2. Eric is an important supplier in this industry. He is the trainer, the athlete that makes kids and parents want to pay for this service. His knowledge of the game, status as a D1 athlete and experience in recruiting makes him the perfect "supplier" of labor.
3. Eric is my best friend so reaching out to him wasn't hard. I've talked to him several times about my idea and we've worked to overcome some of the possible challenges I'd face.
4. Eric and I have been talking about how to work around the schedule of a D1 athlete and also been mapping out some of a possible football training regimen. In return, I'll hire him and do all the marketing and scheduling for him.
Reflection: I've learned that the best way to start networking is through people you already know. One of the hardest parts of networking is developing a relationship and this step is skipped if you already have one established. By reaching out to people you know, you gain access to their networks as well. For example, Eric has teammates that are also interested in training with me. Through networking with Eric, I've gained more capital that will help make my company successful. Networking through people I know is what I've done in the past as well so not much has changed. I find it to be the most efficient way to network but understand that I will have to branch out at times as well.
I have to agree with your post, starting with people you know can also lead to other contacts. I also went to people I know for the information I was seeking and not only did they provide this information to me, but the made suggestions on this I could do different or focus on and also gave me other names as contact. I think you did an excellent job!
ReplyDeletehttp://katyshitchhikingghosts.blogspot.com/2016/03/week-10-growing-my-social-capital.html
I like your post and the idea is very interesting. What kind of workout schedule would you have them on? What specifically did your experts teach you? They will definitely be able to help you get clients. Here is my assignment: http://entreprenuershipisamindset.blogspot.com/2016/03/growing-my-social-capital.html
ReplyDelete