2. I am offering my customers a chance to work with current D1 athletes in their respective sports in order to improve their game. Since I am friends with many of these athletes and they are looking for ways to earn money with a flexible schedule, it won't be hard to get them on board. In fact, I have talked about this with several of them and they are already interested. Most kids want to be successful on the playing field and many even aspire for scholarships. I am offering a chance to work with athletes who are at the top of their game and have received exceptional coaching. While there are camps and clinics that offer this opportunity, I have not been able to find a business that provides a similar experience in a small group or one on one setting weekly.
3. This service is being offered to well-off athletes in South Jersey who are looking to improve their skills. I am offering it in this general area because it is where most of my trainers are located and I know the area well. Also, there is a high concentration of wealthy families in this area that would have the resources to pay. I'd charge about $25-30 an hour and pay the trainers $20 an hour. I'd also offer discounts for groups. Ages may vary but I am marketing towards kids from age 10-17. A common factor among all my potential customers is the drive to improve and gain an edge as well as the money to pay for this service.
4. Customers will actually pay me for this service because of the competitive nature of youth sports. Kids are looking for any way to gain an advantage over their competition and I believe this is an opportunity that will stand out in their minds. Lots of parents with children in youth and high school sports have an eye towards potential scholarships and are willing to spend money now to save a fortune down the road.
5. What I have that no one else has is simple: talented, young athletes with great coaching who have ample time on their hands to train others in the summer. Gaining cooperation from these athletes will be easy because no other job will pay them nearly as well while also allowing them to create their own schedule. Not many training companies can offer not only athletes who are talented and know what they are doing, but also coaching points from several of the top coaches in the country. Also, the relative youth of the trainers will make it easier to relate to the young athletes and give them up to date advice on recruiting.
I believe these elements fit together quite well. I have ample demand, a large supply of athletes looking to make money and train as well as low overhead costs. My role would be marketing and scheduling, two things I have experience with from another business venture. My only concern about a weak point in this plan would be having to initially map out the schedules of those athletes who are interested and then figuring out when they would be available to train. I'd need to have several athletes working every day for a decent range of time as well. This could be tough to schedule but I'm confident that there would be enough interest among potential trainers to satisfy all demand.
Feedback Memo:
1. How will you make a profit? I incorporated this feedback in part 3. I've had this price scale in mind but had yet to be prompted to share it.
2. Will there be a high cost to get D1 athletes to train? No, these athletes are just college kids looking to make money in the summer. $20 an hour is more than double the minimum wage and would motivate these players to train rather than work another job. This is mentioned in part 2 and 3 as well.
3. Will this only be affordable for the wealthy? Yes and no. While the area I am targeting is very wealthy, $25-30 for an hour of training is the price you will find anywhere in my area. I believe middle and lower class families who decide to allocate some of their funds to training will find this service relatively affordable. My pricing is included in part 3.
4. Why Philly/South Jersey? This is where I and most of my athlete friends are from. There is a high concentration of wealthy people in this area that are looking for training so this is the ideal spot for this business both because of convenience and opportunity. This too is included in part 3.
5. Cooperation of athletes may be an issue. I address the availability of athletes issue in my final paragraph. The issue, of course is making sure these busy athletes can dedicate the time necessary to make this business successful. The early talks I've had with them make it seem possible, but I will need to spend a lot of time reaching out to athletes playing different sports at different levels to be sure of this.
Hi Jake,
ReplyDeleteThe strength of your venture idea definitely lies within your connections. Having access to that kind of human capital (in the form of D1 athletes) is certainly an advantage to be expanded upon, as you have done so here. Honestly out of the ideas that I have looked at so far yours looks to be the most viable, considering the unique position that you are in. I would also like to add that as far as coordination is concerned, I am sure this won't be as big of an issue if you can demonstrate your venture's potential clearly.
Thanks for sharing! Here is a link to my own blog should you want to take a look:
http://ablog4c.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html
Jake,
ReplyDeleteYour idea is interesting because it is more of a service business and most of the ideas I've seen have involved products. Essentially you would be the middle man arranging these training sessions between the athletes and kids and thats where you would get your cut. This idea could be very profitable because you could spend your time marketing the idea and getting parents to sign, and your athletes would love to make that much money on the side while going to school. The only issue would be if the athletes weren't reliable and didn't come through for the training. Check out my blog post here:http://keifermcclainent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html
Hi Jake,
ReplyDeleteI really like this idea and it is very profitable. My uncle use to play minor league baseball and went onto coach the minor league cardinals. When he retired, he started coaching kids in south Florida. He didn’t really advertise much but before he knew it, he had whole teams coming to his clinics to seek his help. He ended up getting hooked up with a group called the Jupiter Sharks and they have multiple teams at multiple age groups. He ended up being like the coach for several of their teams. It is nice to have the contacts you have with the D1 athletes, that will benefit you in the long run. If you want to check out my blog here is the link.
http://amshiremanblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html
Jake! I really like this idea. I haven't heard of anything like that around here and I definitely think it could be successful. I know athletes that are determined to make it to college or even the pros would definitely be interested in the extra training/coaching. What sports exactly would you be targeting or would it be a large variety? Overall though, I think it's an excellent idea and could be profitable if marketed correctly.
ReplyDeleteMy venture is a coffee delivery service for college students. Here's a link to my blog if you'd like to check it out:
http://kalimcauleyentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html