Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1

1. I am very organized and have a sales oriented mindset. I am good at connecting with adults, especially parents. I think I can use this skill to my advantage because it will mostly be parents paying for my service. I have experience with team building, scheduling, sports training, and accounting that I think will be useful. I see this business as a venture to make some money on the side while working with my friends and helping shape young kids lives. I love sports and think this is a good way to stay involved.

2. I am offering my customers a chance to work with current D1 athletes in their respective sports in order to improve their game. Most kids want to be successful on the playing field and many even aspire for scholarships. I am offering a chance to work with athletes who are at the top of their game and have received exceptional coaching. While there are camps and clinics that offer this opportunity, I have not been able to find a business that provides a similar experience in a small group or one on one setting weekly.

3. This service is being offered to well-off athletes in South Jersey who are looking to improve their skills. Ages may very but I am marketing towards kids from age 10-17. A common factor among all my potential customers is the drive to improve and gain an edge as well as the money to pay for this service.

4. Customers will actually pay me for this service because of the competitive nature of youth sports. Kids are looking for any way to gain an advantage over their competition and I believe this is an opportunity that will stand out in their minds. Lots of parents with children in youth and high school sports have an eye towards potential scholarships and are willing to spend money now to save a fortune down the road.

5. What I have that no one else has is simple: talented, young athletes with great coaching who have ample time on their hands to train others in the summer. Not many training companies can offer not only athletes who are talented and know what they are doing, but also coaching points from several of the top coaches in the country. Also, the relative youth of the trainers will make it easier to relate to the young athletes and give them up to date advice on recruiting.

5 comments:

  1. It's a great idea! I think the only problem with this, is that it'll be very expensive to get the top athletes and coaches for this program, therefore the cost will be high for the training. it'll be only used for privileged children who's parents could pay for him.

    http://notimportantrightnow.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, this is a really great idea and I think there is a lot of potential for it across the country (eventually). It is certainly a premium product targeted at upper-class wealthy families looking to pay for the best training for their children, but this is still a large enough market to run a very successful business. My question is how will you make your profit as the business owner? Will you be paid for setting up children with these athletes, or make a percentage from each session (or both)? If this is the case what do you think parents would be willing to pay per session, and what would you estimate your share to be? Great idea and I look forward to seeing how it develops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jake,
    Good work int this assignment. I think this is a great idea and it reminds me a lot of the NFL's Play 60 initiative. One thing I liked about your post was that you specified exactly who and where your target audience is. One question I have for you is "Why Philly?" Here is a link to my idea: http://kevinleddysblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jake!
    I think that your ability to connect with adults is a skill that is not to be down played. I think a lot of the time, adults have trouble taking younger people seriously and you should be proud that you have mastered that skill! I think that this specialized opportunity to work with D1 athletes would draw a lot of attention - hopefully it can expand to other people who aren't as wealthy! Check out my idea if you have time: http://kristianasimon.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1-week-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem, based upon your own description of your skills, well equipped for success not only in this course but also in your future entrepreneurial endeavors. I recognize the potential of your proposition as many would jump at the chance to not only improve their athletic ability but also to practice with D1 athletes. My only concern is the difficulty of cooperation from these athletes. If this can be acquired then you have the makings of a great endeavor on your hands.
    Here’s a link to my post if you’re interested: http://madiganent.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete