Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Very Short Interview, Part 2

1. When looking at the questions I asked Mr. Meyer, I can tell I've come a long way and learned a lot over the past few months. My questions were very broad and in retrospect, didn't solicit some of the valuable information that I could've gained from such an experienced entrepreneur. This time around I think I can do much better.

2. The interview was done over the phone so I've transcribed my questions and his answers here:

Q: From your experience, what types of marketing work best in the South Jersey area?
A: We are beginning to see a change in what marketing works in South Jersey. The current trend is swinging towards social media and word of mouth. Therefore we are trying to develop a much larger presence on several social medias.

Q: What books would you recommend reading for an aspiring businessman?
A: I'd start by reading How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This book has helped to me shape who I am as a businessman and person.

Q: What is the most important thing to keep in mind while pitching to a potential customer?
A:Passion. Love what you do and what you are selling. Time and time again I've had customers tell me they went with my business over competitor because they could tell that I love my job and Meyer Capital.

3. I felt exponentially more comfortable talking about entrepreneurship in this interview compared to the last one. I felt like I could finally hold my own when talking specifics and details. This time, the assignment flowed more like a conversation with some back and forth as opposed to last time which was just choppy questions. I didn't really talk to Mr. Meyer about whether he thought I progressed as an entrepreneur or not. However, he did compliment my questions, which I'll take as a good sign.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jake,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I like how you think you have transformed as an entrepreneur from the beginning of the class until now. I also like the questions you asked. They are more detailed and pertain to business and building yourself as an entrepreneur. I also felt the same way as you after the interview. This class has provided me with the experience and knowledge needed to speak more confidently.

    Please check out my post at: http://prosper95.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake,
    I also felt the same way when I went to interview the entrepreneur for the second time. This course has helped us understand a lot more that goes into starting a company and trying to meet peoples needs as well as getting customers. I really like that you asked the entrepreneur what the most important thing to keep in mind is when trying to pitch your business. Showing passion in your business makes all of the difference, and I think it will show through when you make the pitch. Great post! If you're interested in reading about my interview, here is the link: http://niblaidoc.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete